Staycation – noun – a vacation spent in one’s home city rather than abroad. Staycation is one of the best ways to destress. Spending some down time in our own city, where we already know all the good spots to visit. Something about that similarity just appeals to me. It’s like I am traveling but without all the new city unknown worries. I was fortunate to be invited to The Douglas Vancouver Autograph Collection for a night of relaxing and pampering. The Douglas Vancouver is located in the newest entertainment complex of Parq Vancouver. I love spending time at the Parq Vancouver because there are so many things to do, casino, spa, lounges and numerous restaurants. I’d never get bored there!
The DouglasAutograph Collection itself is a boutique hotel that was designed with West Coast (best coast!) in mind. Lots of warm tones, wood elements, nature inspirations and sophistication. Follow alone for a review of this beautifully designed hotel:
What I love:
- Location, location, location: the hotel is situated in downtown Vancouver and in close proximity to the Yaletown restaurant district. A (very) short cab ride will take you to the heart of Yaletown with lots and lots of yummy restaurants and shops. If you don’t feel like going outside, Parq Vancouver itself has lots of things to do that you will never get bored – casino, spa, lounges and numerous restaurants.
- Customer Service: The Douglas has such awesome customer service. Everyone that I interacted with, from front counter check-in, house keeping staff bringing me slippers and towels, to room service staff, were all very courteous and approachable. They genuinely wanted to help you! They made me feel like I was right at home.
- Design: I absolutely love the sophisticated and contemporary design. All the nature elements used in the hotel’s design simply reflect the beauty of Vancouver.
- Amenities: showering in aromatic Aesop’s amenities was something I looked forward to. It just makes the showering experience that much more zen!! Apart from Aesop products, the hotel has gym and, of course, room service.
What I didn’t love:
- Wifi and parking: I was quite disappointed to find out that wifi is not included in the room rate, and we had to pay parking ourselves.
- .. I can’t think of anything else that I didn’t like. Really just the wifi…
HONEY SALT RESTAURANT
During the stay we had dinner at the Honey Salt Restaurant situated on the ground floor of the Parq Vancouver complex. Very close to the casino so if you ever get hungry while playing dice… You know where to go! I absolutely enjoyed my meal there! Their Honey Salt Market board (first food photo below) completely blew both me and Johnny away. The chef used really fresh and locally grown vegetable, either quickly fried or raw, with house-made goddess dips. I enjoyed this dish so much, especially when I learned about kalettes! “Kalettes are a hybrid plant brand name for kale sprouts, bred using traditional breeding techniques, they are a cross between kale and Brussels sprouts.” The chef quickly fried the kalettes so they are crispy and crunchy. Combined with the goddess dips, I was in heaven. If you ever come by Honey Salt, make sure you order the Market board!
Honey Salt is also popular for their brunch (we Vancouverites loooove our brunches!). Their avocado toasts, dungeness crab rolls and turkey meatballs look SO delish! I think I am ganna have to find a weekend to visit them again!